Sunday, January 4, 2009

ANOTHER Bush for Prez? Don't Count on It...

Okay, before I start my rant, let me insert the following disclaimer: This is NOT a political blog. It is a personal blog about the various highs and lows of my writing life, and I intend to keep it that way. I don't mind discussing politics as it relates to the writing process (can't emphasize this enough), but that's as far as it goes. I've found that for the most part, politics brings out the ugliness in people, so unless I know for sure that my audience shares my viewpoint, I just don't go there. End of story.

That said, I came across this video clip from Bush Sr.'s interview with Fox News that made me laugh out loud. Really, H.W.? Really? Check it out:



Regardless of your political views, you have to admit that this is some funny stuff. Especially when you consider the context. Think about it: we're just over 2 weeks away from the inauguration of the nation's first African-American president. Even international newspapers are expressing a sense of optimism about the event. On the flip side, Bush Jr. is currently considered one of the most unpopular presidents in our nation's history, with an approval rating that reached a dismal 25 percent last October.

C'mon now, Papa Bush, did you really think this was the best time to suggest a potential heir to your family's tainted legacy? Ya know, with millions of people still somewhat bitter about the past 8 years? What's even more entertaining is that the former president appeared to reconsider his endorsement seconds after he'd spoken it aloud. He said, and I quote: "I mean, right now is probably a bad time, because we've had enough Bushes in [the white house]."

Yes. Yes we have, Mr. Bush. And perhaps you should take a moment to acknowledge President-elect Obama's accomplishment before looking for your next relative to replace him. Just sayin'.

Whew. Glad I got that out of my system. Tomorrow we'll be back to our regularly scheduled program, I promise. That is all.


1 comment: