Thursday, March 5, 2009

Need To Save Money? Use Salt!

Okay, I know this post has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with writing, but I couldn't resist. I love to share fun stuff I come across on the Web, whether it be news briefs, cool videos or the occasional bloggy rant. I think it breaks up the monotony, keeps things fresh. Don't you agree?

Anyway, since everyone's broke right now (I know I am!), we're all on the lookout for interesting, inventive ways to save money, especially if it means using things we already have at home. A great example of that is this article I found on the website Planet Green. It gives some great suggestions for ways to use salt around your house. Check it out.

Table salt?! Can you believe it? Who knew salt could do more than just increase your blood pressure? What I love most about this article is that everyone has it. It's not like energy-efficient appliances, where you have to spend hundreds, if not thousands of dollars upfront in order to save more in the long run. Nope, this is all about my new favorite word: FREE.

And who doesn't like the word free these days?

13 comments:

  1. Hope you found my recession busting suggestions helpful... (The New Author)

    Your site's beautiful by the way,

    Rebecca
    http://frombrain2bookshelf.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca,
    I did, thank you! I especially liked the tip about buying a whole chicken versus just the chicken breasts. I never thought about that before. I am, as you said, "fired up to write!" Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angie,
    Yes it is! As I said, my new fave word...and I'm sure it is for lots of other folks now, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love savings tips...keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who could turn down savings tips. Great article. I enjoy perusing your site. By the way, I found you on NB blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anita,
    I'm so glad you enjoy them. I'll do my best to find more and post when I do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Robert,
    Thanks so much! So happy you like the blog. I'm a big fan of NB's blog as well. I've learned so much from his posts and he seems like a genuinely nice person.

    Anyway, glad to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with Angie... you can't argue with free. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, but the things we have in our cabinets! For example, white sugar is a great facial scrub. Oh, and I use that same white sugar mixed with a little water and lemon juice to make an excellent (and relatively pain-free) leg wax.

    Then there's baking soda .... don't get me started!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, and salt and a little lemon juice shines up old coins.

    And put some salt in a bag, add those dusty silk flowers, zip and shake.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jenn,
    Very true! Free is fantabulous =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lori,
    Omigoodness, you are brilliant! I'm so going to try all those suggestions you made.

    I'm especially looking forward to that sugar facial :) It sounds very...well, sweet! Thanks so much for the tips!

    ReplyDelete